Teen Contestants Areas Of Competition
Private Interview (25%)
Each contestant participates in an 8-minute interview with our panel of judges. There are typically 5 to 7 judges on a panel. Contestants are asked about their background as presented on their fact sheet, their educational and career goals, their opinions on current events, social issues and pop culture, as well as their interests, hobbies and extracurricular activities. Contestants are judged on communication skills, the ability to convey opinions, personality and confidence.
Contestants perform a 90-second routine of their own choosing. Some possible talents include singing, dancing, gymnastics, instrumental music, dramatic or comedy monologues, baton twirling and ventriloquism. Other talents that can be performed solo on a stage are also possible. Phone or e-mail us if you have a question about your talent presentation. Entertainment value has the largest weight in this part of the competition.
Evening Gown/ On-Stage Question (25%)
Each contestant appears on stage in an evening gown of her choice. The contestant will be judges on her presentation, confidence and elegance. Questions will be of a general nature and will be neither platform-related nor something taken directly from the private interview. The objective is to evaluate the contestant’s ability to think on her feet and answer a question of general interest to people her age.
Active Wear (15%)
Each contestant appears on stage in active wear of her choice (typically a running top and shorts or capri leggings). The contestant will be judged on her depiction of a healthy lifestyle, energy and confidence.
Eligibility for Miss Staten Island & Richmond County's Outstanding Teen
- A U.S. citizen
- A young lady between the ages of 13 and 17
- Must not be eligible to compete in the Miss America Competition
- Legal resident of Staten Island at least 6 months prior to local pageant competition
- Able to meet the time commitment and responsibilities
- In reasonably good health to meet the job requirements
- Meet character criteria as set forth by the Miss America’s Outstanding Teen Organization
- Must select a community service "platform" to advocate during year of service